This new synagogue is the culmination of the collaboration of Congregation Agudath Israel volunteers working with our firm to create a building that is uniquely suited to the congregation.
Founded in 1920, the congregation has had several homes over the years with the current location having two major renovations before 2009. This, however, was the most expansive, including an 11,500sf Sanctuary & promenade addition; a 3-story, 22,600sf education wing addition; and 25,400sf of renovations to the existing building.
The core of the existing building was retained , including the offices, chapel, classrooms, kitchens, and social hall. Around this central core, on an extremely confining site, we designed the two additions while allowing for a flow of pedestrian and vehicular traffic through the site to access the many functions of the expanded facility.
The heart of the new synagogue is the sanctuary, with the Ark set to the east. It is from here that the entire building draws its energy. The curvilinear walls of the sanctuary, clad with Jerusalem stone, define and embrace the place of worship, yet suggest that the movement of both form and people transcends the confines of the sanctuary.
From the main east/west axis of the sanctuary blossoms the curving space of the Promenade. Acting as an internal street, the Promenade is a place of social interaction connecting all parts of the building: the new sanctuary to the existing core to the new education wing.






PHOTOGRAPHY
Taylor Photo
